Campbell County Website
  Kentucky Sex Offender Registry
  Find sex offenders in your area
  The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children


Processing fee for service of papers is $40.00 per legal document.

What is the difference between Civil Law and Criminal Law?

Knowing the difference between Civil Law and Criminal Law will clear up many misunderstandings citizens face when dealing with the Courts and Law Enforcement. The Courts are able to address both Criminal and Civil Law, while law enforcement is only capable of addressing Criminal Law.
Simply put, Civil Law is the group of laws that address matters of dispute in the regard to property, custody, money and services. A short list of matters that would fall under Civil law would include: landlord/tenant disputes, divorce proceedings, child custody proceedings, property disputes (real estate or material), etc.

A cursory definition of Criminal Law would be; The group of laws that address Criminal Offenses. A few examples of Criminal Offenses would be: Theft (by deception or unlawful taking), Assault, Robbery, Wanton endangerment, Trafficking in Controlled substances, Alcohol Intoxication and DUI.
Do not feel that a law enforcement officer is ignoring your problem if he refers you to the County Attorney's office and explains that your situation is a civil matter. The officer is simply trying to guide you to the proper personnel who can address your situation. The officer does not have the authority or jurisdiction to preside over matters that are civil in nature.

In other instances, the officer may instruct you to obtain a court order regarding your situation. By your obtaining the court order, you now have given the law enforcement officer limited jurisdiction, as granted by the court, to help you remedy your situation, even though the situation may be fundamentally civil in nature. Again, the law enforcement officer cannot act on a situation that is civil in nature until he/she has been ordered to do so by the court. It will be up to you to secure this order

What does it cost to have a vehicle inspected? Where do I go to have it done?

It costs $5.00 per vehicle inspected. You can bring the vehicle to the Sheriff”s Office and inform the staff that you have a vehicle that needs inspection. An on-site inspection costs $15.00.

What paperwork do I need to bring to have my vehicle inspected?

You need to bring your valid Kentucky drivers license (Car dealers may use a valid out of state license-NO INTERNATIONAL LICENSES WILL BE ACCEPTED) and the car's out of state title. Additionally, for the car to pass inspection, you must bring the car in a drivable, roadworthy condition. You will also have to bring the necessary payment for the applicable fees. (see above) If the vehicle is a salvage vehicle, you will also need a sworn affidavit regarding the vehicle's history and origin

What is a Civil Summons?

A Civil Summons is a notification that a legal action has been filed against you. Once this document is served to you, you have 20 days to respond to the plaintiffs attorney. The complaint attached to the civil summons explains the civil charges (meaining non-criminal) that have been filed with the court by another citizen or a business.

What is a Criminal Summons?

A Criminal Summons is a Court order demanding the appearance of an individual before the court to answer to criminal charges. These charges can be levied against an individual by the court solely on behalf of the Commonwealth or on behalf of the Commonwealth in response to a criminal complaint entered by a citizen or business.

What is a Subpoena?

A subpoena is a court order demanding the appearance of an individual before the court in order to give testimony. It is issued because the court believes that the individual being subpoenaed has pertinent knowledge of the case that is being tried.

What is a Warrant?

A warrant is a court order commanding all law enforcement officers in the state to take the individual listed on the warrant into custody (arrest) upon contact with that individual.

I've been served, what if I don't show up?

If you've been served a criminal summons and you do not show up in court, and have not cleared your absence with the County or Commonwealth Attorney's office prior to your date in court, in all probability, a warrant for your arrest on the charge of Contempt of Court will be issued.

I need information on mortgages and deeds.

This information can be obtained in either the County Clerk or PVA office.

I have a property line dispute with a neighbor, what do I do?

If the dispute is violent and physical, Call 911.
If the dispute is non-violent and not physical, you should contact the County Attorney's Office during business hours and explain your situation to them.
(see also "Difference between Civil & Criminal Law at top of page")

Can I have a Deputy escort me to get personal property from a residence?

If you are having trouble claiming personal property from a residence that you are vacating due to a quarrel with your previous roommate / spouse / significant other, you must obtain a court order requesting an escort by a Deputy to claim your property. You can attempt to obtain a court order by contacting the County Attorney's office during business hours. A Deputy cannot escort you to claim your property without this order.
(see also "Difference between Civil & Criminal Law at top of page")

There is an abandoned vehicle on / in front of my property.

If the vehicle in on your private property, you can have the vehicle towed at your discretion. You simply have to call the towing company and have them come and tow the vehicle. When calling the towing company, ensure that the towing fees will be charged to the owner of the vehicle and not to you.

If the vehicle is on the roadway in front of your property, or is sitting adjoining to your property, or if you are the least bit unsure if the vehicle is on your property, you need to call the Sheriff's office and a Deputy will respond and ascertain whether or not the vehicle will be towed.

How do I get a Concealed Carry permit?

The following are the required steps in obtaining a concealed and deadly weapons license:

1. You must complete the required training course and receive your training certificate. NOTE: This requires a $75.00 fee, which is paid directly to the certified instructor.

Certified Campbell County Instructors:

Kenneth M. Clift Instructor Newport (859) 743-3412
Kristina A Espy Instructor Bellevue (513) 328-0909
Tim W. Hubbard Instructor Florence (859) 322-6517
Dennis Michael Klein Instructor Alexandria (859) 448-9595
Christopher R. Mallory Instructor Alexandria (859) 466-6516
Jeffrey Alan Moles Trainer Wilder (859) 441-6837
James F. Poynter Instructor Bellevue (859) 743-4187
Kevin Sanzenbacker Instructor Southgate (859) 442-0383
Timothy Lee Vinson Instructor Alexandria (859) 635-7536

2. You must obtain a color photograph not smaller than 3 1/2x4 inches and not larger than 4x5 inches. The photo must be a full-face shot. State Police will accept a Passport photo.

3. a check or money order in the amount of Forty Dollars ($40.00) payable to KSP. No Cash.

4. A check (payable to the Campbell County Sheriff's Office) or cash in the amount of Twenty Dollars ($20.00).

The Campbell County Sheriff's office is open Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm.